Pic(k) of the week 52: DUBAI FINANCIAL CENTER FROM THE 80TH FLOOR

Last week (click here for the post) I blogged about my roof-topping experience from the Index tower in Dubai. As I also brought my Fujifilm X-T2 beside the great Medium format GFX 50S, I promised to do two consecutive blogposts about the shoot.

So this Pic(k) off the week is all about the shot I took facing North towards DIFC. Although this side obviously doesn't have the Burj Khalifa (worlds tallest building) in the frame, it doesn't make it any less interesting!

Just like with my GFX 50S shot in Pic(k) of the week 51, I set up the camera using the built in "Interval Timer Shooting" function to shoot every 90 seconds. Combining it with a 3 shot exposure bracket (-1, 0, +1EV) set-up, the camera took basically three different exposures every minute and a half. 

Recognizing the perfect blue hour moment while shooting, is not always easy. Having 2 cameras that are 25m apart makes it even harder. Although the majority of the images shot will be deleted after the editing is complete, I find it much more reliable to shoot similar images with the above technique. 

Camera setting wise, I use Manual focus with a fixed ISO and aperture; basically only the shutter speed is allowed to fluctuate. As the night falls, exposures are of course getting longer with such a set-up; something to take into account when picking the time for the Interval meter; one minute for every interval might not be sufficient to take three shots once it gets darker.


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF10-24 f4 lens
  • Base image ISO 200, f 9, 14.5mm (22mm full frame equivalent)
  • Lightroom CC Classic for RAW development and perspective control
  • Photoshop CC for some limited digital blending; highlights only
As camera support, instead of using a tripod for my second camera, I used the Platypod Pro (now called PlatyPod Max) mini tripod base. The Platypod is a plate where one can mount a classic ball-head on. As long as the surface is relatively flat, I makes for a great stable camera platform! Slightly uneven surfaces can be tackled with the three provided spikes. The Platypod can easily support the weight as I even used it with the Fujifilm GFX 50S lately. 

More Architectural images from Dubai can be found here

Remember: "A good photograph is knowing where to stand" - Ansel Adams.


BJORN



Comments