Pic(k) of the week 41: RUNDETAARN - Fujifilm X-T2 goes Architectural in Copenhagen

In my Pic(k) of the week 40, Axelborg building, I praised Copenhagen as a great city to do Architectural photography! Beside the staircase image I featured last week, I photographed another amazing place....

The Rundetaarn (Round Tower), is a much older building; finished in 1642 it is a whopping 374 years old! Originally built as an observatory, it is still used by amateur astronomers although the light pollution must make it very hard...

For a small fee (25DK/3.5EUR) one can visit the Rundertaarn, which I would definitively recommend especially for photographers. 

Although the observation deck has some great views over the old part of Copenhagen, it is especially the climb to the top that makes it interesting.  Instead of stairs, a 7.5 turn cobble stone spiral ramp brings one to the top. Something that was done to allow horse carriages to bring heavy equipment and books to the observatory. 

Depending on the weather and the moment of the day, the light through the side windows can make for some pretty dramatic images.

Although I framed quite a number of images along the ramp, the one that stood out to me was the image below. In the right hand part of the image, a couple casting a shadow on the wall and the structure of the arch on the right make it all that much interesting. The latter look like veins in an arm to me.



Image details:
Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF 10-24 f4 lens
ISO 3200, 1/35s, f7.1, 10mm (15mm full frame equivalent)
RAW development in Lightroom CC with Classic Chrome preset
Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 for Black and White conversion
Lightroom CC for final edit using a brush for dodge and burn

The image above was added to my ARCHITECTURAL PORTPOLIO; given the limited amount of images that live in my portfolio, that means a lot to me...

More work of the capital of Denmark, can be found here.

Remember: "The life of a designer is one of fight, fight against the ugliness" - Massimo Vignelli

BJORN



Comments