FUJIFILM GOES FLYING (part 2) : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY with the XT-1 and XF 18-135 lens

In part 1 of my FUJIFILM GOES FLYING series, I blogged about how the XF 18-135 lens turns out to be great for my Air to Air photography. If you haven't done so, please had a look at this popular post here

Often confused with Air to Air photography is 'AERIAL" photography; the art of photography of the ground (unlike other aircraft for Air to Air) from an elevated position; this could be from a bridge, high-rise building or more typically an aircraft and since recent years a camera drone...

I personally don't do drone photography yet as I'm too much in love with the flying bit myself. It is way more fun to do the flying bit yourself or just be up there as a photographer!


My 1954 vintage Piper Super Cub is a pretty cool photo-platform to shoot some personal aerial images; especially since it can be flown with the door open for an unobstructed view! Whenever I go out there on a solo photo-flight, I use my Blackrapid RS-Sport strap so the camera remains secure and is not in the way while flying. After all Safety is always our number one priority in Aviation!


As I wrote in my initial review of the XF 18-135 lens (click here for review), I thought this would make for a great Aerial photography lens; it is weather sealed (WR), has the perfect focal range for most aerial shots and has an excellent image stabilisation (OIS). Since I gave back the review copy of my 18-135 lens to Fujifilm Middle East, I bought a copy of the lens; confirming my initial thoughts on the potential use!


Below is a series of images, all shot with the 18-135 lens. Please click on the individual image for a full screen view.

ISO 400, 52mm, f5.6, 1/300s

ISO 400, 44mm, f5.6, 1/800s

ISO 800, 79mm, f5.6, 1/1500s

ISO 400, 62mm, f5.6, 1/950s

ISO 400, 88mm, f5.6, 1/1500s

ISO 800, 62mm, f5.6, 1/500s

ISO 400, 66mm, f5.6, 1/2200s




More of my Aerial photography can be found here.

Remember: "You haven't seen a tree, until you have seen its shadow from the sky" - Amelia Earhart.


BJORN



Comments